Take-away’s from the book, “Desserts is Stressed Spelled Backwards”.
I love this book on emotional eating and body image. It is a deep dive into the real issues hiding behind emotional eating and the struggle with your body. I have pages and pages of amazing truths from this book. There are a small selection below.
- You have the idea that if you change your appearance your problems will all go away. You blame every issue you have on not having a good enough body. Truth – your body is not the real problem.
- Compulsive eating is a three-fold problem – physical, emotional, spiritual.
- Key step is creating self-awareness. Which of my needs isn’t being met?
- Self-sabotage – happens at the point at which you think major change in your life will occur and fear wins. You choose safety. Look at the consequences of reaching a goal or making a change in your life. What fears and/or negative consequences come up?
- Shifting from the self-punishment and self-criticism to self-acceptance and self-care is critical for finding peace.