In this episode of IMperfectly Health, Faith interviews Dr. Aimie Apigian, a physician, speaker and founder of Trauma Healing Accelerated and Family Challenge Camps. After a few years in a traditional general surgery residency in Portland, OR, she decided to forge her career path as a Trauma, Attachment and Addiction Medicine Physician. Inspired by her experience with adoption and foster care, her mission is to help others accelerate their healing of attachment trauma through evidence-based tools and experiences to rewire the nervous system and change the belief systems of those struggling with attachment trauma. Having personally experienced the challenges of parenting a child with effects from attachment trauma, she is intensely invested on finding what actually works practically and the fastest to bring lasting change to those affected by trauma and attachment issues.
She is the Founder and Director for Family Challenge Camps, a non-proﬁt organization founded in 2011 providing an experiential transformative intensive for families with children with trauma and attachment issues. After working for a decade and now hundreds of adults and families with attachment trauma, she has expanded her practice to addressing the downstream effects of attachment trauma including addictions and chronic stress and related health symptoms.
In addition to her traditional medical training, she is also a Functional Medicine physician and has training and certifications specifically in nutrition and genetics for addictions, mental health, mood and behavioral disorders.
In this episode, you are going to hear Dr. Aimie share expertise and experience around:
- her own experience of adopting a foster child, healing his attachment trauma and her own, and how she helps others transform their lives and health by rewiring healthy attachment.
- what attachment is: secure vs insecure and how it is the future of health
- signs of attachment trauma in kids
- how attachment styles are passed on generation to generation
- how 75-80% of the US population have an insecure attachment style
- how the common “freeze” pattern shows up
- the 3 biological precursors to attachment trauma
- the impact attachment trauma has on an adult – health, purpose, relationships, communication and more.
- the link between common issues such as anxiety, tension, depression, being dramatic, chronic disease and addictions, and early insecure attachment.
- the “healthy” practices that actually reinforce insecure attachment patterns like “freeze” and disassociation.
- why mindset or cognitive work alone will NOT heal this.
- why its never too late to rewire your attachment from insecure to secure/health.
- how Dr. Aimie guides parents and kids in healing attachment trauma in a safe way, step by step.
- the key measure of knowing if what you are doing is working or not.
Follow Dr. Aimie on Facebook
Follow Dr. Aimie on IG
Follow Dr. Aimie on YouTube
JOIN a VIRTUAL SACRED BODY CIRCLE. SIGN UP HERE
Join the IMperfectly Healthy Community FB Group at https://www.facebook.com/groups/IMperfectlyhealthycommunity/