A food craving is a strong desire for a specific food that if unfulfilled, produces a powerful physical and mental suffering. It is an intense, urgent need for a specific type of food. You know that “I have to have _________ right now feeling”.
Food cravings are often huge obstacles for many people that are trying to lose weight and improve their health. People are out there dieting, exercising, and trying REALLY hard to lose weight. But then those darn food cravings somehow overpower one’s motivation and hard work. Then what often happens is, after indulging in their food cravings, they give up on the diet, then they beat themselves up, and make themselves wrong for indulging. “I was doing so well and then…” is something I hear all the time.
Are you one of the many stuck on the “on again/off again” diet cycle? So not fun!
Here are 5 holistic ways to kick your cravings:
1. Sleep: Get 7-9 hours of quality sleep every night. That is a general recommendation. We all have a certain amount of sleep required to function optimally. Create a bedtime ritual. Give yourself time to wind down. Getting to bed at/by 10 pm is ideal.
Poor sleep and fatigue can create serious carb and sugar cravings. Sometimes that extra hour or 2 of sleep in the am is more beneficial than a workout before work. Listen to your body. Pushing yourself too much can actually push the scale in the wrong direction.
2. Eat a whole food diet: It is pretty simple. If your body is missing nutrients, cravings will creep up.
- Eat a balanced breakfast/lunch/dinner including lots of veggies, quality protein, healthy fats, and whole food carbs.
- Get in your greens, with every meal if possible.
- Go for color – red, purple, yellow, orange, green, brown/white
- Eat fat, extra fat – ghee, avocado, coconut oil, nuts and seeds, extra virgin olive oil, quality meats, whole eggs
3. Water intake: Drink pure spring water, 1 liter for every 50 lbs of body weight. So someone weighing 150 lbs should drink about 3 liters or 72 ounces.
Have a hard time drinking water?
Try adding lemon, lime, mint, cucumber, or essential oils (I love lemon, citrus, and metabolic blend) email me at firstname.lastname@example.org to find out more about these oils.
The body can mistake hunger for thirst. Staying well hydrated can do wonders for preventing food cravings.
4. Look at the Emotional Significance of your cravings: Our food cravings are often trying to tell us something and it’s not about the food. Food cravings are symptoms. We crave different foods for different reasons. We will develop a craving for a particular type of food based on what emotion is present (or missing) for us at the time.
5. Secret Weapon Foods and Supplements:
- Green juices and super food smoothies
- Fermented Foods like sauerkraut and kimchi
- Celtic Sea Salt
- Bone broth
- Quality multivitamin/mineral
- Greens powder such as Vitamineral Greens by Healthforce
- Omega-3 fats – Carlsons, Nordic Naturals
- Probiotics – Primal Defense by Garden of Life, PB8, Jarrow